Discontinued Yarn and the Sweater Breakdown

This winter has been absolutely miserable here in the Burgh! Yesterday we had another snow storm move in and our school had a snow day! This is the only perk of this weather! I took the day to rest (My body has finally given in and I'm sick with something that makes my throat feel like its burning!!), and knit. I am currently 4 rows away from finishing the body of  my sweater!!
Unfortunately, I realized about two stripes ago that I don't think I will have enough yarn to make long sleeves!! In a panic, I tried to weigh my options.


Oooh, merino!

The first option was to make the sweater slightly shorter and have longer sleeves. This probably wouldn't give me long sleeves, but they would be longer than 3/4 length. And my sweater wouldn't be as long as I had hoped, making the bagginess of it pointless.
The second option was to have 3/4 or elbow length sleeves and have the length be longer, which would also look a little weird.




Found this color on sale online from a random
yarn store in CT!!!
Then I decided that in order to make it the way I want it to look, I need to find more yarn. I figured that even if the dye lot was different and slightly different in color than my yarn, it would be on the sleeves and in stripes so it won't be as noticeable as it would be otherwise. So I decided to do some online shopping. This was quickly thwarted as I found out that the yarn I am using, Bergere de France Origin Merinos is DISCONTINUED!!!! So finding it online to buy is completely out of the question. What was I going to do?!?!?!


This is where Ravelry saved my sweater and my sanity!
I looked up the yarn and colorway on Ravelery and found who had it in their stash. I then messaged these people to see if anyone would be willing to sell one or two skeins to me. Thank God for Brenda from California, and the other fellow knitters who offered to sell me the yarn! You ladies are Goddesses and I love you all!!! I decided to purchase from Brenda since she had one skein and that's probably about what I need. I am now anxiously awaiting the yarn so I can finish up my sweater!!

Tip of the day: If you run out of yarn and it happens to be discontinued, check out Ravelry and the nice people who use it! You might just save yourself from a breakdown!

Happy Knitting!

Comments

Popular Posts