The Slightly Quilted Table Runner

About two months ago I went to visit my mother in Ohio and we decided to make a day of browsing around at crafty type shops. One of my favorite shops to visit is a local fabric and general craft shop in Middlefield, Ohio called The Craft Cupboard. They always have a wide variety of beautiful quilting fabrics in different prints and colors. That is where I found this gorgeous Halloween and fall fabric! 

I decided I needed to make something with all of this beautiful fabric! 
On the wall of the shop there was a table runner that was reversible, which seemed to be a great idea! And just like that, my project was born! 



I wanted to showcase this beautiful fabric as much as I could, so after browsing through many patterns I decided to go with a type of triangle pattern.
I made myself a template, cut my fabric and got to work sewing the pieces together.
This is the result.


One side is obviously Halloween and the other side is fall themed. 
Making a table runner was not at all difficult. However, the free motion quilting process was!! 
This is the first time I had ever free motion quilted anything. I tried to do straight lines which didn't turn out so well. So, I ripped it out with the help of my wonderful boyfriend, changed my mind, and decided to go with a large swirl to minimize the actual quilting pattern.
This serve two purposes; first it minimalized the free motion quilting I had to do, and second and allowed me to, instead of showcasing a quilting pattern, showcase the beautiful fabric. I really like how my first free motion quilting experiment turned out!






















It's not perfect, but I'm darn proud of it and can't wait to display it for the season! 

Until next time, 

Happy knitting (and sewing)! 

Comments

Popular Posts